Spring 2016 - Bill 1: Job Creation and Diversification
Albertans want and deserve a prosperous, vibrant economy. They want job opportunities for different skills and backgrounds in all regions of the province.
Bill 1: Promoting Job Creation and Diversification Act supports working people and their families. It supports businesses in their efforts to create jobs. It will diversify our economy and help provide access to new markets for Alberta products.
Bill 1 gives the Minister of Economic Development and Trade the power to establish programs that focus on supporting workers and job creators, including programs that:
- create partnerships that support entrepreneurship and focus on innovation;
- increase access to capital;
- help businesses succeed and grow;
- help workers upgrade their skills and find good jobs;
- help communities build on their economic strengths;
- increase innovation; and
- support export development.
Bill 1 passed third reading on May 25, 2016 and came into force May 27, 2016.