Posted on Apr 19, 2018
Jason Kenney’s UCP again votes against Justice budget and new resources to fight rural crime
For immediate release
April 19, 2018
EDMONTON – The UCP caucus just voted against the Government’s Justice budget, in a roll call vote, even though the Justice department’s budget includes new funding to fight rural crime.
UCP caucus members, including Jason Kenney, voted against the budget, which includes:
- 59 additional RCMP officers
- 20 new crown prosecutors, of which 10 dedicated to rural Alberta
- 40 new RCMP civilian personnel
- 4 new provincial court judges
- $7.9 million increase in the Legal Aid budget
- 55 new court clerks to help clear administrative backlog
- 13 new bail clerks to help do more bail hearings per day
This spring, the UCP has twice voted against new funding to fight crime in Alberta. They should explain to Albertans why.